Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thunderstorms and Lightning Bolts

So during last night's heavy storms, I couldn't sleep at all! Buster, my 5 year-old cairn terrier is absolutely terrified of thunderstorms and was literally hyperventilating! Baxter, my one-year old cairn terrier was just walking around the bedroom, obviously also being kept up by all the noise outside.

I started thinking about how thunderstorms are nature's way of keeping us in check - meaning that they make us enjoy nice weather all the better. Then, I began relating this information to my real estate career - the rude, inconsiderate customers make me appreciate the grateful, friendly ones all the better! Sometimes, I think people are under the misconception that agents get paid a salary, which is not true. A lot of buyers don't feel any sense of loyalty to an agent and may work with many agents. It's a matter of convenience for them, as to who ends up getting the commission, even though the other agents may have dedicated hours of work to that particular buyer. Unless people have worked on commission before, they simply don't understand how it works or affects an agent who has spent countless hours working for them and doesn't receive a penny of income.

Of course, then there are the greatest buyers in the world who stay loyal to you no matter what and truly work with only you as their exclusive agent. Those are the best kind of clients to have. However, I must treat all my clients as though they are these wonderful buyers until they give me a reason to act otherwise. Getting stood up, betrayed for another agent, or simply used as a means to get information are all reasons that I'd be happy to let another agent deal with a particular buyer. Real estate agents don't go through all the training and classes, get their certification, take their continuing education classes and become professionals to be treated as any less than that! If I am not treated as a professional, then I'd rather let the client work with a different agent, who may or may not care about them as much as I do.

All I can do is give my clients the best service possible and hope that they will conform to the world's greatest buyer status and not the opposite. Referrals are truly the highest compliment that an agent can receive and I appreciate any and all that come my way!

As for the thunderstorms that are on the way this afternoon, I say bring them on...I will only enjoy my sunny, clear days more!

- Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment